1. I dated a girl (briefly) named Jaime.
2. I didn't, surprisingly, read very much as a child (a embarrassing number of Choose Your Own Adventure books, though).
3. While trying to hitchhike out of Montréal, I walked from my downtown apartment to the western end of the island (about 30 miles in one night).
4. I'd still love to bike across Canada. Or drive to Buenos Aires. Probably the former, being an eco-conscious aspiring grower.
5. I lived in a monastery just outside of San Diego (they were Theosophists).
6. My library once held over 3,000 books. I'm better now, though, I swear.
7. I'm deadly with a squash racket.
8. I have a man crush (a writer crush, actually) on John Crowley. Ditto Wallace Stevens.
9. My favourite novel is Little, Big (see above).
10. Anne Carson puts the juice in my pineapple smoothie.
11. One night I ate everything in my refrigerator (I even drank a jar of delicious pickle brine). Draw your own conclusions.
12. I will visit the Arctic and/or Antarctica while there's still time. Time for icy games and revelry (Snow is the sexiest form water takes. By far. Well, ice is pretty great, too).
13. Fuck me but I'm twee (I heart Belle & Sebastian - you too cub).
14. I love (heels-over-head love) The Wizard of Oz and Harold and Maude.
15. Two shamefully guilty pleasures: ABBA and Titanic (Leonardo's dreamy).
16. I've milked goats, sheep and cows with varying degrees of success. And made cheese.
17. I'm training my dog to be goalkeeper in our football (soccer) matches. Now I just need a baby to do the striking.
18. Tattoos really freak me out.
19. But women with shaved heads are yummy.
20. I'm conversant in (some of) the profanity of ten languages (and counting).
21. Dirt makes me happy (mud, too).
22. I'm an obsessive cataloguer and list-maker (and I have yet to meet a footnote that hasn't caught my fancy - RIP David Foster Wallace).
23. I don't think I can survive without peanut butter anymore. I eat gallons of the stuff.
24. My wife makes my mind smile. And my heart tumble and whirl and gambol.
25. We're moving to Portland. And I miss Canada.
'My Year in Lists' - Los Campesinos!
Tattoos freak you out! Why? And did you know I have a tattoo?
ReplyDeleteUm, because they're creepy. Really. Anything that disfigures the skin (scarification, abnormal number of freckles, etc.) kinda disgusts me (there are degrees of revulsion, of course). I know my reaction is unreasonable and unwarranted. I know you have a tattoo (I have many friends with tattoos), but it doesn't change anything. That being said, I've pierced my body several times. So, I guess we're the sum of our contradictions.
ReplyDeleteRIP David Foster Wallace indeed. I'm re-reading his short "Getting Away From Already Pretty Much Being Away From It All" about the Illinois State Fair. I think there's never been a more brilliant writer who starts sentences with "And but so..." Hey, have you managed to slog through Infinite Jest? I haven't been able to get but 50 pages in, and I'm yet to meet someone who's read the whole thing...
ReplyDeleteNo! I read even less of it, in fact. But I loved his essay, Tense Present, on English usage and language snobbery.
ReplyDelete