
Here's a fascinating piece I found on The Ethicurean. I recently decided to eliminate meat from my diet (my wife is largely responsible for this change, from reading The Omnivore's Dilemma and Farm Sanctuary, although I was a vegetarian for the better part of fifteen years - including a flirtation with veganism). Because of my diet, SCD (or the Specific Carbohydrate Diet), which I follow to help control my ulcerative colitis, this poses some problems, but I'm awfully determined. My wife is adopting a reduced-meat diet, too, but will still eat some local, sustainably and humanely raised (and slaughtered) meat. Which is decidedly more expensive than what industrial ag. offers (and justifiably, for the most part). I've always been more than a little troubled by how the SOLE diet is simply unaffordable for the (vast) majority of the population. Especially meat. I've worked on farms that raised their own animals, for their own consumption as well as the market, and their costs certainly didn't justify the outrageous prices demanded. Until I dabble in animal husbandry myself, however, I suppose I'll have to reserve judgement.
'Vegetables' - The Beach Boys
No comments:
Post a Comment